What is Thoughtful Networking? 🤩
This networking session is excellent for events and team building. You can also adapt it to spice up your regular meetings.
In this exercise, participants can move freely between four breakout rooms, each with their own flashcard deck with thoughtful questions. Once time is up, participants share their biggest takeaways from the activity.
Here’s the complete list of thoughtful icebreaker questions found in the flashcard decks:
Hobby & passions:
- If money weren’t a thing, what would keep you busy?
- What’s a big passion of yours you could talk about for hours?
- If you could spend your free time doing only one thing, what would you pick and why?
Career & work:
- What’s your favourite thing about your role/ your work?
- A major turning point in your career was...
- If you were to change careers, what would you pick and why?
- Share a moment where you felt really proud of something you have achieved.
- Your fondest childhood memory is...
- What are three things you’re most grateful for?
Fun & banter:
- A pointless superpower would be...
- You suddenly speak an alien language. introduce yourself to the rest.
- You’re stranded on an island with 3 items. They are all useless. What do you carry?
How it works
Explain that you will open four different breakout rooms for the next 15 minutes. Participants can see all the rooms and move freely between them.
Each room has a different topic and a different set of flashcards. They can stay in one room for the entire duration of the networking session, or they can move between rooms and mingle.
After you bring everyone back in the main room, invite some voices to share back the most interesting or fun things they learned about each other.
About the creator
Anamaria Dorgo is the Head of Community at Butter. Her mission is to create a space where facilitators, workshoppers, trainers, design thinkers, and innovation and strategy consultants can team up, share best practices, tackle challenges collectively, and accelerate their careers together with like-minded people. 🙌